SPOAC – Meeting Update

SPOAC – Meeting Update

Last night I attend the first South Pittsburgh Opioid Action Coalition (SPOAC) Meeting of 2018. The meeting was full of great information and very passionate conversation. SPOAC started about six months ago and is facilitated by PA Opioid Overdose Reduction Technical...
Let’s Make A Difference!

Let’s Make A Difference!

Ever since we lost Amber I knew what my mission was. I had to stand up and help people suffering with mental illness (including addiction). I never thought of it, but I guess I also suffer from mental illness. I have been battling depression for years, I suffer severe...
What About Alcohol?

What About Alcohol?

We are living in a time where substances and behaviors are taking control in negative and devasting ways. We have talked about the stigma of addiction and mental health many times and how this needs to stop. We have pharmaceutical companies advertising about their...
Have a Happy and Healthy Christmas

Have a Happy and Healthy Christmas

Christmas is about love and compassion. Spending time with the people you care about. Please remember there are many people struggling during the holidays. Today is a very hard day for many. Try to help those in need, those that are lonely and lost. They need...
Happy Holidays… Remember To Help Others

Happy Holidays… Remember To Help Others

We would like to take the time to wish each and every one of your a very happy holiday season. This time of year is supposed to be a time full of joy and happiness. A time to gather with the people you care about and have fun. This time of year is especially hard for...
Santa Sock Drive!

Santa Sock Drive!

Sunflower Effect is dedicated to raising awareness and compassion for people with mental illness and addiction. A big part of that is fighting the stigma and having compassion and empathy. Today,  we would like to share something a little different. A young woman at...